Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Looking back: One Month

Oh how our lives have changed in the last 30 days. From the minute Evelyn took her first breath, our life would never be the same. She has brought so much joy and happiness into our home, along with some sleepless nights. She has already changed more than I could have imagined in such a short time. She has changed our marriage {for the better} and taught us what true unconditional love is. This last month has had its share of ups and downs, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

The days following our short hospital stay were exciting, terrifying and at times overwhelming. I know they say your emotions {and hormones} are going crazy after you have a baby, but combined with the physical exhaustion and stress that my body just went through it was definitely not what I was expecting. My anxious thoughts and tendencies were taking a very strong hold over me and how I was feeling. How am I going to get through every day responsible for another person? Jordan and I will never be alone in this house again. I knew our life would never be the same once we met our sweet Evelyn, but I never thought I would feel so lost and scared about what the future would hold. When will we finally feel like things are back to "normal"? Even though I work with babies and am very comfortable with what they need, I never imagined that I would feel so overwhelmed at times. Whether I was overwhelmed with happiness, worry, or any feeling in between, I wasn't quite prepared for that. As each day went by, I started to feel more like myself and more comfortable with our new life. There are still moments that catch me off guard, but I've learned thats what this new life is all about, taking every situation head on and rolling with the punches.

During the couple weeks I couldn't have imagined all the love we felt from our family and friends. We had a {welcomed} constant stream of visitors, which kept us from going crazy being cooped up in a house with a new baby! Jordan and I have really started to settle in to our new roles as parents, and as partners when things get crazy. Jordan has been off work since Evelyn was born, so it has been really great to have meals together and enjoy this time with our snuggly little newborn! We can both have moments when we get away from the house {even if its grocery shopping} and we have still found some time for ourselves in-between poopy diapers and feedings!

But the real amazing thing about all this, is how much Evelyn has changed already. From day one she has had quite the loud voice and has moments when she doesn't seem quite happy with anything we do for her, but even her sad/mad/screaming face just melts my heart. My oh my, what a baby!

From screaming for her first 2 hours of life
Finding a rhythm in the swing
Loving the sound of the vacuum
Letting the dog lick her feet
Goo-py clogged tear ducts
Crossing state borders {to Indiana} to see extended family
Meeting her "German" family
Really *loving* tummy time
3 am wake-up parties
Celebrating 12 grand parents
Finding her voice
Smiling at mom & dad's funnies
Not enjoying when mom eats dairy products
Snuggling on daddy's chest
Sleepy smiles & laughs
Hair growing thicker by the moment
Gifting mom & dad with 6 hours of sleep {sometimes!}
Teaching mom & dad patience & the art of multi-tasking
Loving walks, especially at Celery Flats

What can we expect in the next month? I can't wait to see what Evelyn has in store for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment