I’ve spent a week here at camp with middle school children
from around the state of Michigan at a United Methodist Church Camp. It has
been one super week. So many children who may not get enough love at home
having the time of their life. Some kids have great homes and they are able to
share God’s love to others and not let their positive home situations cause
them to act as though they are better than anybody else here. Sure, there is
the usual girl on girl drama and middle school mean-ness. And sure, some boys
might play a little rougher than others and have those middle school crushes as the hormones are raging. But the point here is that everybody
is loved equally and everybody has a chance to find God in their own way.
Our theme this week was, rightfully so, about the Olympics, as
the 2012 London Olympics are currently in progress. Good enough to be an
Olympian. Am I really good enough? Being good enough for God. All potent themes
we’ve had this week. One night at firebowl, hearing about so many successful
people failing before they found success, brought us all to tears. To feel as
though I am not worthless even though I didn’t succeed at that last task. To
know that I am still loved and still able to do anything I set my mind to
because I am good enough. What an amazing thing to be reminded of. There are so
many things that can drag us down in this world and it is hopeful to remember
that fact.
It's hard to imagine a life where people cherish every moment and never take anything for granted. Being at camp for this past week reminds me to slow down and take it easy. I seem to always have things planned and organized and completely thought through before I do anything. Is it so hard to just let things be and go with the flow? I am thankful for this peaceful morning and the time to be able to reflect on my life as a wife and a nurse and how I can better live each moment. Why do we all forget how precious life is until a terrible accident or a terminal diagnosis? Why can't we remember that fact BEFORE we are faced with a loved one's death? How different would our world be if we all slowed down and enjoyed the simple things in life?
No comments:
Post a Comment