Saturday, June 28, 2014

Wesley Woods High School Camp


I had the opportunity to be one of the camp nurses at the most amazing church camp last week. I wrote about our week, but had bad internet connection and couldn't upload to the blog! So here it is.. my week at Wesley Woods! 

So night one of camp isn’t exactly going as smoothly as I envisioned. I got to camp much earlier than I thought I would…yay! About 7:30. But I was thinking I could probably get her right to bed, but that really wasn’t the case. I needed to put some stuff away and get some stuff accessible to me once Evelyn fell asleep. And my co-nurse was doing nurs-y things and I felt bad that I wasn’t helping out. Well it turns out I probably should have just focused on the baby because by the time I got her bottle going and she took it, she was a mess. And I mean a mess. Aching, screaming, thrashing, all of the above. I was in tears right along with her. We tried side-to-side rocking on a little school chair and that wasn’t working. Campers kept coming in for water, that wasn’t helping. Thankfully my co-nurse has the amazing zero gravity camping chairs and I slid one into my back bedroom and laid back with Evelyn and tried to rock her to sleep that way. It worked. For now. The campers should be coming back from firebowl any minute now and I am just waiting. I have a sign outside that says “please be mindful that there is a baby sleeping in this cabin, Thank you *huge smiley face*” We’ll see. Big mom fail…forgot the sound machine, so I currently have a box fan blowing around our room, which is sort of nice, but sort of cold for a baby who doesn’t like to stay under covers and mom decided to dress in a short/t-shirt pj combo because it was ‘warm’ tonight. I might wake up to a baby with frostbite, buuuut, we’lll make it through the night – hopefully.

I’m looking forward to getting to know the counselers here. Or hopefully get to know them. I feel really alone right now, but I can handle that, I’m sure it will get better. I’m usually good at making some friends. But what is hard to deal with is not quite knowing really anybody here and being the nurse. I mean I’ve done this camp nursing thing for 7 years now – this year 8. I know what I’m doing, but its just with new people and I want to learn some of their new ways, and I’m trying to show them some of mine. And I know that there are some campers who loooove being with the nurses. I’m not so into that. You’re here for camp, not to hang out with the “cool nurse.” And this year, it will probably be worse because I have a baby with me. Hopefully we can keep the campers focused on camper things and we can make this all go really, really smoothly!

Camp is such an amazing place and I am excited to experience it with new people, new schedules, my little baby & I hope I can help pass on an amazing camp experience to 150+ campers! 

3 comments:

  1. Ah Lisa! My heart breaks when I read this. Did we first meet at one of the counselor cool running events and we tried to get you to come to the high school camp back then. In all my camp free time I would have tried to make sure you were more connected. I'll have to keep reading to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, the rest of that thought was: I remember really liking you way back then when we met for the first time even briefly.

      Delete
  2. Oh Eric, it was such a great week. It was so fun to meet so many new, wonderful people. I just plopped in on Sunday night and it was a weird transition, next time we won't have my work schedule to complicate all that. You all were welcoming and phenomenal, I can't wait to do it again!

    and ps - I remember meeting you way back when too (and I liked you then too!), I forgot about that weekend until you brought it up again,

    ReplyDelete