But thats not all I've been thinking about.
Have you ever noticed yourself comparing your life to another persons life, relationships, etc? I know I have (and still do). It seems inevitable. Whether talking with friends or looking around on facebook, people put their lives out in the open for us to see. I do the same thing, people can tell if I'm having a good day, or a bad day based on my posts.
But what does it all matter? Are we all completely honest in our posts & conversations? What would people think if they knew what really happens behind closed doors. The horror.
Well I'll be honest if just for one moment - Our life isn't perfect. Shocking right?
We fight. We argue over stupid things. My house is messy. I haven't cooked a proper dinner in 2 weeks. My dirty laundry is sitting in a pile on my bathroom floor. My baby sits on the floor by herself (in the same room) while I selfishly watch TV. We say things we don't mean to eachother (trying to stop that!).
We have this skewed version of eachothers lives. We don't tend to post things on facebook in the middle of a fight. But what if we all did? Would we feel better about our normal lives? Sometimes I think, "gosh we sometimes fight a lot, maybe there is something wrong with us." But is there something wrong with us? Probably not. Most likely not.
I (we) have to stop being so hard on ourselves. Jordan often says, "Our grandparents have been married over 50 years, do you think they haven't had a bad day and fought over something stupid? This is nothing new, I love you and you love me, thats all there is to it. We'll move past this" He's right. He's really right.
It normal to argue and have bad days. But when you go on facebook and you see friends that appear to have this fantasy happiest of fairy tale life it makes you question things. At least it does to me sometimes. They must have a really perfect life and what a romantic man, I think to myself. But is he really that romantic all the time? Probably not, he just has a wife/girlfriend who likes to post about the moments he is and those moments jut happen to show up on my newsfeed.
I just wish that in this online always plugged in world we could take a moment to be more real. Or at least think and talk about real things.
It seems like we all play along with the game of showing each other what a great life we have. And we all do have really good lives in most cases. But we tend to showcase the standout moments more than the everyday moments.
When all we see online are standout moments the everyday, normal moments get overshadowed and downplayed. But those are the moments that matter. The everyday, small moments, good or bad, that make life special. That matters.
It matters that we're all human and we all have bad days. Our relationships aren't perfect and no, we all may not have had the most romantic, day long, over the top proposal (although mine was really amazing). We all don't cook 5 course meals from scratch every day. We can't always go to the farmers market and eat local, fresh food. We can't always make it to the gym. Our kids don't have matching outfits.
And we don't always have everything together.
And that's okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment