Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Up, Up & Away, It's Evelyn's 2nd Birthday!

 A little girl can't turn two without a party! 

Feeling un-inspired for Evelyn's party, and the only idea in my head was an airplane theme - lets face it, a theme dominated by boys - I turned to Etsy for some ideas to get me out of my rut. I ended up finding the perfect set of invitations and the scheme of Evelyn's 2nd birthday party was born!

Credit: Swish Printables (obvi ours was custom!)
I still can't believe how stinking cute the colors and the airplane and everything is! Swish Printables on Easy is my new favorite place to look for invitations, thank you cards, and other party details. Donna was so easy to work with and made everything quick and just look at how cute these are!

Anyway, after I decided we were doing an airplane theme I had to look for more details and more fun. Because after all, why not have an airplane party during the year of all things airplane. Living on an Air Force base, planes flying overhead constantly, and a little girl who is obsessed with planes makes for the perfect, and very cliche birthday party theme. So I went with it. Can I just say that 95% of the things associated with airplane decor have BOY written all over them. Boy party games, boy colors, boy, boy, boy! It was frustrating to me to scour the internet and not find many options for girls. I think thats why I was so happy I found her invitations and party package. 

I did find a few really great options though. I borrowed some ideas and had so much fun making all things airplane the week leading up to her party. I bought an airplane mold off amazon (which will come in handy for many, many years) and a few boxes of crayons to make airplane crayons. I separated by color, melted, poured, cooled and packed up these adorable airplane crayons! The kids did think they were candy, but hey - they are some fun crayons for them to add to their collection of broken, misfit crayons.


 I found some cute designs using candy to make little airplanes. Turns out its hard to find long tootsie rolls when its not Halloween - I used smarties instead - and they are more time consuming than I imagined, so I made 5 and used them for decorations instead of favors. Improv worked in this case.


Its not a secret to those who know me well, but I have a huge sweet tooth and love all things chocolate and dessert. So I decided to make good use of my $3 airplane molds and make chocolate airplanes. Maybe the mix of edible airplanes and wax airplanes caused the confusion for the kiddos? Either way. I melted chocolate chips, butter and crushed walnuts to make delicious little chocolates with toothpicks and cupcake topper tags that were a big hit. I couldn't stop there. I made a double batch of homemade, hand rolled airplane sugar cookies (thanks again Amazon!) It sort of looked and smelled like Christmas in my house, but Christmas in July is a thing, right?! And the sweets didn't stop there. We had a delicious cake made at a local bakery and it matched our invitations. How stinkin' cute is that?! 




The decorations and the food were not the only thing happening that day. We had a house full of friends who are family to us and lots of love for our little girl, and we couldn't have asked for more. With us being in Oklahoma this year and far away from our bio-family, I owe a HUGE thank you to our Air Force family who helped us celebrate. Evelyn is one lucky little girl and we are all lucky to have made such wonderful, life-long friends during our time here in Oklahoma.



full house!  
Grill-MASTER! 


 Can't blame her - the icing was delicious! 

My beautiful friends!! 



What a celebration we had! 

No comments:

Post a Comment