Monday, September 28, 2015

Four Weeks to Go

We only have four more short weeks to call Enid, America our home. Jordan and I may have differing opinions about leaving, but I know I will miss this place tremendously. And I can't believe I'm saying that. Those words did not just come out of my mouth. But they did.

An Oklahoma Sunset
I still laugh at the fact that we live in Oklahoma. I mean, who actually lives in Oklahoma? Well, I've learned quite a lot of amazing people live here. But it still seems random to me. Its almost like that far away land that people hear about and talk about, but you aren't quite sure it exists. Its a land that I never thought I would see the beauty in and its one that people here love. Sure, there are some things I would like to see in Enid - like a Target - but it is far better than I expected. We moved here not knowing a single person and will leave here with life long friendships that formed over long work days, fun Friday nights, weekend trips out of Enid, playgroups and playdates, hot hot summer days, and endless laughs. 

Oklahoma Sky
The first house we lived in after a mess up with our housing on base was nothing short of a 'God Thing.' Our next door neighbors were the most amazing, loving people and welcomed us into their lives. They have a little girl, Rylee, who is just 2 months older than Evelyn, how perfect was that?! Kaci and I were instant friends, and we were brought into each others lives when we needed it the most. Kaci was actually the first person to know I was pregnant with Natalie, as she stopped over just after I took the test. I was slightly freaking out and she was there to help calm my fears of delivering a baby hundreds of miles away from family in a new town. Jordan and I had to make the tough decision to move onto base when a house became available, and believe me, I was so sad to move away from our new friends! Thankfully, Enid isn't that big and we have still been able to see Kaci and Rylee quite often this last year! 


Once we moved on base we became completely immersed in Air Force life - its hard not to when you live on base, right? Friends stopping over for dinner when our husbands work late, walking to the commissary and heading to the park around the corner, all have been apart of our life here. The T-6 is a constant in our life, one is usually flying overhead every minute from the time the sun rises until the workday is done. They say you get used to the noise, and I guess I have. Weekends and weather days when they don't fly seem eerily quiet. Going home last month I missed the constant hum of planes overhead. My dad said its like an air show every day. And many days it is. 


Going to drop nights {when pilots who are about to graduate get their assignments}, and counting down the weeks until our drop night comes, never gets old. It is the most excitement that happens around here and honestly I'm not sure its comparable to anything else. Except maybe being in labor and not knowing if your baby is a boy or a girl - that's pretty close. But seriously, these pilots are going up on stage in front of hundreds of people and will find out what their future holds, and where they will live for the next few years. Its so exhilarating and can be a very happy moment, or very disappointing moment. And now our drop night is next. I know our assignment isn't a surprise, but for most of our friends, who became our family here, it is!

In our tiny base rental house, we have had many memories and big moments in our life. We welcomed Natalie home and we celebrated Evelyn turning 2. We've watch Jordan turn into an amazingly talented Air Force pilot and enjoyed so many nights of fun with friends. We've tolerated blowing cold wind in the winter, and scorching hot summer days. There have been crazy wind storms and a few tornado warnings. This little house has a special place in my heart. I won't miss feeling like we've run out of room though - I promise we aren't hoarders!!


Never in a million years did I think I would meet so many wonderful people here. I never imagined how hard it would be to leave this place, but I have a sinking feeling that the end is coming and I'm dreading it. This year has been tough on Jordan, tough on our relationship and just tough in so many ways. But in all that tough-ness, we found irreplaceable friendships and experiences we would have never had if we didn't leave our comfort zone. The water works have already started just writing this. I can only imagine how many more tears will fall as we start to say our goodbyes in the coming weeks. Sorry in advance to you all if I have constant puffy eyes and cry at a moments notice. I will not get over this place quickly and I will carry all these people and memories with me for the rest of my life. 






No comments:

Post a Comment