Monday, March 27, 2017

Luke Daniel

February 24th, 2017
The day we welcomed our son. A son. I'm still in shock that we have a son! 


We didn't find out if we were having a boy or girl during our pregnancy, and much to our surprise our two girls had a little brother. We were totally expecting to have three little girls based on the family track record of having all the same gender children. 

The end of my pregnancy had a bit of extra drama to it. Mostly because Jordan deployed when I was about 30 weeks pregnant and came home 5 days before our due date. I wasn't really worried about having our baby early, but at the end I was more nervous than I'd like to admit. So, on a Sunday, when I was 39+ weeks pregnant Jordan came home from his deployment! We couldn't be happier! He had quite the adjustment to go through with the time zone changes, and we were so grateful Luke decided to wait a few days after Jordan got home to make his appearance. 

On Thursday morning the 23rd I was in the office for my non-stress test. I was having a few minor contractions here and there. Later that afternoon I realized I was having a few more minor contractions than usual, so I decided to start timing them. They were about 5-7 minutes apart, but didn't hurt. So I just carried on about my day. We had dinner as a family and I decided to take a bath after dinner to see if that would slow down or stop these minor contractions. Boy was I wrong! They not only got more consistent, they started to be more noticeable. 

We decided to call Jordan's parents to head over to our house from across the state to watch the girls for us. By this time, it was time to get the girls in bed - about 8pm. Jordan's parents would be to our house around 10pm, but I wasn't sure we should wait that long for them. The contractions were still just about 4-5 minutes apart, but they were increasing in intensity -- still very managable, but just getting stronger. So we called our awesome neighbor, Michelle, over to hang out at our house while the girls slept. We had a 40 minute drive to the hospital, so Jordan and I got on our way.

After waiting for a triage bed, three IV attempts and sitting on the most uncomfortable bed while  having consistent painful contractions, we finally got over to our birthing center room. Beaumont's Royal Oak hospital has this AMAZING birthing center that is beautiful and perfect for a natural birth experience with the security of a large hospital and all that comes with it. A natural birth wasn't always in my plans, but after two failed epidurals and having quick labors, I decided to go for it. The design and calming atmosphere of the birth center sold me on it to be honest. I figured I'd been stuck in bed with a 'natural' delivery with the girls, so I wanted the freedom to do a natural delivery how I felt it was right. I didn't have any expectations or a plan. I figured my body would know what do to and boy did it ever. I was able to walk around, take a bath, sit with Jordan. Speaking of Jordan, the poor guy was still adjusting to the time zone changes and was completely exhausted by this point.

Anyway, we were back in our room just before midnight. At midnight it was officially my due date. Of course contractions continually got more intense as time wore on. Jordan was completely and utterly amazing through all of this. He said things I needed to hear to focus through contractions, he let me squeeze him, yell in his ears, and he gave me everything I needed in those moments.  By 1:30 I was starting to lose my focus and Jordan and I needed backup. Our wonderful nurse came in (she had been in periodically before this) to be an extra support. Her voice was like speaking from the heavens during a contraction giving me guidance and support through the rough moments that I lost control. I started to feel the pushing urge, so we called the midwife back in and they had to coach me to keep me from pushing for a bit because I wasn't totally dilated and my water hadn't broke at this point.

At this point the contractions SUCK. Like really, really suck. I'm pretty sure some swear words and yelling were happening at this point. I have no concept of time at this point, and I remember getting into a hypnotic type state between contractions and almost sleeping in the short time between. After I was fully dilated and they had broke my water they finally let me push. I felt the terrible "ring of fire" and thought - HECK NO - this sucks, lets get this baby out! So, in one contraction, our baby was born!

Jordan looked down and said "IT'S A FREAKING BOY!!!!!!!!"
Content snuggling with my boy! 

At 2:14am, weighing 7lbs 6oz, our son was born. I couldn't believe it. I asked at least 5 times in the first minute if it was really a boy. They even turned him around at one point for me to see he was indeed a boy! A part of me knew all along he was a boy, I just had a feeling the whole pregnancy.

Jordan and I weren't ready to decide on his name yet, so Jordan fell asleep (he literally passed out on the couch in the middle of the room) and I snuggled with my new, fresh little boy for a couple hours. He made one little squeak when he was born and then settled right in to his mellow-I'm-the-third-kid status.Those first few hours were amazing. No extra visitors, delayed weighing and all the medical business and it was just us. It was great. Natural delivery really only sucked and was hard for the last 45 minutes, and having a supportive husband and a great nurse made it possible. All in all, it was everything I could have imagined or wanted.


After Jordan and I both got some rest, and we could really look at him. Another baby with a full head of thick, dark hair!


We decide to name him Luke Daniel. Our little boy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment